The Cloister of Aghion Pateron was built by three ascetics, who later became instrumental in the founding of Nea Moni Monastery, on the site of the cave. The cave was given to the monk Jeremiah of Crete in 1688, and later he reconstructed it into a church and cells. When Jeremiah died in 1868, Pahomios, the holy monk from the village of Elata, asked for the buildings which he converted into the largest monastic center on the island.
In 1900 hagiography flourished there. There are four monks at the cloister today.
Entrance is forbidden to women after sunset.